Creating ANGEL Assessments for the Testing Center
The ANGEL secure browser is a tool that allows instructors to administer exams in an online environment which blocks outside resources. Some setting may behave differently in the secure browser environment as compared to the open browser environment most ANGEL users are accustomed to. For questions on specific settings, please contact ANGEL Help.
Before beginning to build your ANGEL assessment, make sure your ANGEL user settings are set to "advanced." When creating your ANGEL assessment, use the following information as a guideline.
- Title: Give your exam a name that is easily identifiable to students. If you are using ANGEL's gradebook, make sure your exam title does not exceed 35 characters. Anything over 35 is unreadable in the gradebook.
- Subtitle: It is recommended that the instructor's name, and any other additional information, be included in the sub-title.
- Page Text: This is an ideal area for test instructions, honor code information, or other directions. Any text placed in this area will appear above the "Begin the Exam" link, which is displayed before the student begins their exam.
- Link Target drop down: Choose "Same Window"
- All other items in the Content Tab should be left in their default state.
- User Tracking: Set to "Everyone" to allow a test log to be generated.
- View Restrictions:
- Uncheck "Do not allow users to view this item"—the start/end dates will control access. If this option is checked, students will not be able to start their exam in the Testing Center.
- Viewable by: Select "Students"
- Password: Leave this blank. Passwords in ANGEL are not tied to an item. If you give multiple items the same password, all items with that password will become viewable when the password is entered to unlock any single item.
- Team access: Select "All Teams."
- Start/end date: This will determine when your exam is available to students. Please set the start time to be 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time of your exam. Please make sure these dates/times correspond to the dates/times in the e-Testing Registration System. When the appropriate date arrives,
students will be able to see, in the ANGEL course, that there is an active exam. They will not be able to view it because of the security settings and IP Filter.
- Edit Restrictions: Use the default "Course Editors" setting.
- Internet Security:
- Browser security: "High" requires a secure ANGEL browser.
- IP filter: This feature allows students access to the exam only at the Testing Center. The Testing Center IP address range will is +128.118.9.* (please remember to include the asterisk at the end)
- Delivery Settings:
- Date Enabled/Disabled—These times should match the start/end dates entered on the Access Tab
- Display Settings:
- Display mode: "Single question" is recommended.
- Question Set Defaults:
- Randomize the order in which questions are delivered: If this is selected, all questions in the exam will be scrambled. Please note that if you are using section headings to create question groups when building your assessment questions, these will also be scrambled, affecting the layout of your quiz. Note: DO NOT scramble questions if you are using section headings
and/or it is important that the section appear in the same order for all students.
- Randomize the order of each question's answer options: This will scramble the answers to a question. Please be careful about using "all the above, none of the above" type answers as they will incorrectly display when this
feature is used. Question and answer sets can be individually locked in the question creation area by selecting the "never scramble" option.
- Submission Settings
- Attempts Allowed: Set this to 1 so students can only try your exam one time.
- Validation: We recomend you set this to "Allow, but issue warning" This will warn students if they do not answer all the questions on an exam
- Save Option: Check the "Show save button" This will allow us or a student to save their answers if technical issues arise
- Time Limit: Please set to the time allowed to complete the exam. The time countdown will begin as soon as the users clicks the "Begin the exam" link. The time is kept by an internal ANGEL clock and is not affected by the computer clock.
- Time Warning: When using the time limit, it is recommended that you warn students as the end time for their exam nears. Testing Center staff do not warn your students that their time is expiring.
- "Automatically submit assessment when time expires" option should be checked. If not set, the exam will be marked as having been submitted late.
- It is recommend that you set View Submission History to "Disabled" until after the exam has been completed. It works in conjunction with the related Feedback Options at the bottom of the section to determine the level of review available to users. The three review settings are:
- Full review: Allows the user to review the full results of the assessment upon submission, restricted only by the current Feeback Options. In addition, upon returning to a previously submitted assessment, the user is presented with a linked list of the dates on which he/she has taken the exam. The user may click on the linked item to review the full results of the submission restricted only by the current Full review options.
- List only: Allows the user to review a summary of the assessment upon submission, including the number of points awarded, the number of points missed, and an overall score. In addition, upon returning to a previously submitted exam, the user is presented with a list of the dates on which the user submitted an assessment and the grade for each submission (if applicable).
- Disabled: Prevents the display of feedback upon submission of an assessment and disables the display of information regarding previously submitted exams.
- Note: Anonymous quizzes do not allow feedback regardless of the settings.
- Display Feedback displays immediate review feedback upon completion of the assessment. It also works in conjunction with the Feedback Options at the bottom of the section to determine the level of review available to users. If you want your students to see feedback after submitting their exam, choose the "Assessment completion" option. If not, select the "Feeback disabled" option.
- Please leave all settings in their default mode
- If using the milestone or gradebook features, you will associate the assessment with these features in this tab.
- Once the assessment is created, you will begin to add questions. Automatically scored question types include true/false, multiple choice, multiple select, matching, ordering, and short answers.
- Short answer and essay questions are available, but the instructor must manually grade these types.
- Section headings can be used to create question groups. By using the "Max Items" feature in the section heading, you can create a question bank from which a question (or group of questions) is randomly selected.
Frequently Asked Questions about ANGEL